Tuesday, May 23, 2006

So terribly public.

It's been too long since I have written. I've had the title of this blog scribbled on my 'to do' list for the past 3 weeks and now even as I finally sit down to write, I am struggling to get the post out.

What I am thinking about is the very public nature of pregnancy. Duh, right? Except that I get strange looks when I wear a dress. What's going to happen when my stomach swells?

People still mistake me for a boy.

OK. It is that simple. I look like a boy and boys don't get pregnant, and neither do many tomboys and that is what I am thinking about when I say being pregnant is so terribly public.

This is one of those awkward places where gender expression and sex status collide to make the person at the apex of that collision uncomforable as hell. And sadly, this is something I truly consider when thinking about biological motherhood.

Gender norms stink.

1 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Blogger krousey said...

Oh, C. was such the tomboy pregangt woman. We often times joked that I was going to buy her those extremely feminine looking pregancy outfits. No, we never did. C. has not lost her tomboy, and A. is now 5. I am certain that you and L. will come to your decision, and that life will continue to be a process of discovery. How are things now??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home